Monday, January 13, 2014

What I've come to believe

I believe in adventure and growth and learning by living; in seeing something in a book or on TV and making it real.

I believe in change, in the pursuit of dreams, in committing when you're ready and acknowledging when you're not.

I believe in the beauty of being hopelessly lost and, in the struggle to find your way, noticing people, places and details you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I believe in trial periods and return policies and in telling time to f*** off because the only purpose it serves is to rush you or remind you of what you haven't done.

I believe in respecting the wisdom of others but giving your gut the last word.

I believe in a fluid definition of accomplishment; in the acquisition of knowledge; in recognizing the things you don't know and working to fill the gaps.

I believe in focusing on yourself first so that you can better focus on others, in always thinking for yourself and regularly thinking of yourself.

I believe in being responsibly irresponsible because with too much diligence you'll have too little fun.

I believe that talk and tears are miraculous, that the best memories come from the worst circumstances, that there is a reason for coincidence and chance encounters because they really aren't coincidence or chance encounters at all.

I believe in never stopping, never settling, never being OK with being stuck in the mud.

I believe "I was busy" always means "I didn't want to make time."

I believe in toughing it out, but when the levee breaks, I believe in the healing touch of home, of Mom's cooking and Dad's jokes.

I believe that we can always be better and things can always be worse; I believe in counting your blessings before counting your money and in saving the worst for last.

I believe in the power of, "I love you," "I'm sorry," "Thank you" and "Excuse me."

I believe that make-or-break moments come more than once in a lifetime and that improvised disaster is more worthwhile than scripted perfection.

I believe in saying "no," in the beauty of being alone, in regular self-reflection and self-improvement.

I believe that normal is an incredibly boring thing to be and that we should leave an "I was here" mark on the lives of the people we meet.

I believe in guiltlessly eating an extra piece of chocolate, sleeping an extra five minutes, drinking another glass of wine and watching stupid television.

I believe that people who say they have no regrets are full of sh** because we'll always wish we did things differently.

I believe that people change, that all of us deserve second chances.

Most importantly, I believe in the pursuit of happiness, whatever that happiness may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...