Friday, October 5, 2012

More than just Spanish



For me, this experience isn’t as much about teaching as it is about diving head-first into Spanish culture and language. But what I’ve quickly realized is that I’m not just learning about Spanish culture. So far I’ve learned about life in Canada, England and Ireland. Most of the auxiliares (if you haven’t read my previous posts, my title is auxiliar de conversación, which basically means language assistant) are American, but there are several from outside of the States. One of the girls I stayed with in Madrid was British. Another one was Canadian. On the bus to orientation in Cáceres, we met a “lad” from Ireland.

We often overlook cultural differences between English-speaking countries. But sharing a language doesn’t mean we share everything. A few quirks:

-         Police in the U.K. and Canada generally don’t carry guns unless they’re dealing with a riot or something of the sort.
-         When reciting the alphabet, Canadians and Brits say “zed” as the last letter, instead of the American “z” pronunciation.
-         Brits from northern England call tea “brew.” And when they say they’re having evening “tea,” that actually means they’re having supper, not drinking tea.
-         The British higher education system is completely different than in the U.S. They don’t say that they “major” in a subject, and they don’t follow the structure of a typical American semester, which is traditionally characterized by intermittent exams, midterms and finals. According to what I gathered from my aforementioned British friend, Brits establish their undergraduate course of study – Spanish, for example – and they work on that for three years, usually. At the end of those years, they take a test (or a series of tests, I’m not sure) to determine if they get their degree. As I’m writing this, I realize I need to learn more to fully explain the differences. But just know that it’s different, OK?
-    Of course Brits use all sorts of different words and phrases, but one that sticks with me: If Brits say they're "going to be at the restaurant for 8 o'clock" that means they'll get there around 8 o'clock. If they say "at 8 o'clock," that means they'll be punctual. 

Those are just a few tidbits I can remember. I won’t try to claim that this list is exhaustive. 

Buenas tardes, 
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...