Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On being an American introvert in Spain

After a weekend in a mountain house with 12 Spaniards, this post seems timely...

Spanish is a social culture, which makes it an anomaly of sorts when compared to individual-based America. Spain is all about evening walks on the crowded city-center sidewalks, where old men are dapper in cardigans, slacks and leather shoes. Here, friends go to each other's homes for mid-afternoon coffee and company. Spaniards meet on weekend afternoons to tapear, in which they sip beers and order dishes to be picked over by the group. They talk, they laugh, they kiss hello and sometimes goodbye, too. They thrive on the communal experience, on shared moments together and conversation over long lunches and drink dates. To not be social is to not be Spanish.

I love this picture I took in Avila because it sums up Spanish culture so perfectly. 

Which puts me, an introvert and an American to boot, in a tough spot sometimes. Let me begin this spiel by noting that being introverted and being anti-social are not the same. The latter is a personality disorder, actually. Introverts don't hate people or parties or talking or groups of three or four or five. Like most humans, we enjoy revelry, banter, fun and togetherness, but we reach a point in which we are simply drained by the beauty of it all. We replenish our energy in the most glorious way possible, I think: by being alone. I love the silence and the tranquility of being solo, and quite frankly, I need it.

My need to be alone doesn't necessarily defy American cultural norms. Sure, some of my friends think I'm a weirdo when I am noticeably delighted to be holed up solo, but it's not widely frowned upon. Here in Spain, from what I've gathered, at least, being alone or doing things alone isn't quite as acceptable. There are times I want to eat alone. There are times when I'd rather not have coffee at her house or my house. Because as a teacher, I'm surrounded by people and energy and commotion and chatter and screaming every day. So after work, sometimes I just want to go to my room and let my thoughts fight each other for my attention. There is no better noise to me than deafening silence.

Even so, I try to accept any invitation offered to me as a way to embrace Spanish culture and experience everything I can during my short time here. But you can't fight nature. Sometimes I feel like a gorilla in captivity because like him, I've grown comfortable in an environment that's entirely unnatural for me. But there are times when I bang my head against the glass or mindlessly spin in circles, thus showing there's a part of me that still knows I'm going against the grain here.

The emphasis on relationships and community and living life with people instead of just around them is something I admire about Spanish culture. And I envy the people who can embrace that each and every day. For me, it's a challenge, but I'm making the effort and making friends. So here's to different cultures challenging us, teaching us and changing us.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this - such a well-put post! Being an auxiliar in Extremadura last year was definitely a challenge to my introverted ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I know this post is older now. But I'm currently going through this. I'm an introverted person as well as an only child. So, honestly it's not only energizing for me to be alone but almost comforting as well because I'm so used to it. Little did I know that when I moved to Spain my life would be turned upside down lol. My roommates think I'm a weirdo and no matter how many times I try to explain to them what being introverted is, they just respond with, "well you should try not to be that way." Or "just come out with us" (after we have already gone for coffee and a walk together earlier that day and I say no to wanting to go for a party). When I say no they look at me like if I have two heads lol. My main goal right now is to move out just to get some peace. I love them. They're really great people and very nice. But I'll go crazy lol.

    It's not just that I'm different. But that they want you to be like them instead of just accepting that you're different. Idk sorry for the rant. But I had to get it off my chest lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...