Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Stuff I eat: Rabo de toro

I'm going to keep citing Anthony Bourdain until I run out of references. His quotes are like strings of sometimes-vulgar-but-always-poignant poetry: “That without experimentation, a willingness to ask questions and try new things, we shall surely become static, repetitive, moribund.” It's with that Bourdain-inspired mindset that I've tried blood sausage, pig ears, liver and...

Source
Name: Rabo de toro

Translation: Oxtail (the name used to refer to the tail of an actual ox, but it seems to have stuck even though what is served presently is the tail of cows and steers.)

So what is it exactly? Just what it sounds like. It's a traditional dish in Cordoba, served with the meat on the tail bone and bits of solidified fat. From what I'm told, it's traditionally seasoned with garlic, onion and vegetables to form a sort of stew. I tried it (for the second time) at a traditional Cordobese restaurant, assuming that if it was going to be life-alteringly delicious anywhere in Spain, it'd be there.

Where I ate it: Cordoba, Spain

Before trying it, I was thinking...: "I'm all for parts conservation and getting the most out of a slaughtered animal, but this really doesn't look good."

Texture: The meat is extremely tender and moist, and that's typically one of the dish's most lauded qualities. No chewing is required. Normally tenderness is the mark of a good cut, but I found oxtail to be so tender that it lost substance and so moist it bordered on slimy. (Keep in mind this is based entirely on my unenlightened culinary opinion. Many people love this dish.)

Taste: From what I could taste of the meager amount of meat on the bones, the meat was similar in taste to ribs (again, I warn you of my untrained palate). You're thinking, "Teresa, ribs are delicious." You're right, but the potential deliciousness of oxtail, which I think of as rump roast's ugly cousin, was drowned out by off-putting texture and yellow gelatinous fat.

Verdict: I wouldn't order oxtail in a restaurant because it'd cost me an hour's worth of private English lessons, and I'd rather spend that 10 to 15 euros on blood sausage or squid in ink than on oxtail. However, if someone else was paying, or if I was a guest in someone's home, I'd eat it again without quarrel.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm I love rabo de toro! We eat it often in Seville, and you can get it for cheap if you know where to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the teachers I was with loves it, too! I just haven't been a fan either time I've tried it, but like I said, I'd be willing to try it again if it wasn't on my dime, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't the first time you tried this in Cáceres at the Mercadillo Medieval?? Just being a snoop waiting for your blog of our trip and putting off hw and packing and came across the food sections....big surprise. You know who this.is!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment above was fir the murcilla, por cierto.

      Delete
  4. Of course I know who this is :) Yes, the first time I tried morcilla was in Caceres. The blog of our trip hasn't been written yet, but it's coming someday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...