Thursday, August 23, 2012

Only a month to go

I know it's terribly cliche to say that time flies, but really, it does. I've been saying for almost a year now that I'd be leaving in September 2012 to teach English in Spain. I started telling people that before I had even committed to doing it, partly to provide a satisfactory answer to the post-graduation "what will you do with your life" question from others and from myself. If it didn't pan out, at least it bought me time. If it did pan out, I'd surely make it an adventure. Somewhere along the line, my impending move abroad has become reality. It's not just an empty answer.

I've moving to Spain in a month.

I'm not altogether terrified. After all, I've survived several moves away from friends and family. One of those moves was to Spain four years ago, albeit it was to an entirely different region than the one I'll head to next month, and it was only seven weeks. But it was Spain nonetheless. I'm more emotionally prepared for a months-long relocation than I've ever been, but that doesn't mean it will be easy. I haven't cried yet, but I have teared up thinking about leaving my fiance and family, especially my precious nieces and nephews. I worry they won't recognize me when I get back. I worry about missing first steps, first words, first bites of cereal, first solo treks up the playground ladder at the farm. Those are moments, and I hate missing moments.

But Europe will be full of moments. I'll have experiences there that, for many people, will never be closer than an HD travel show or a glossy magazine. I already have a running list of places I'd like to visit, and the list seems to grow every day: Germany, Holland, Ireland, Portugal, Poland, Istanbul, Morocco, Sweden, Italy, England, the list could stretch far longer than that. I've already done a fair amount of European traveling - I've been to London, Paris, Munich, Rome, Venice, Florence and Madrid, but there's so much more to see. I can't wait.

Lucky for you, you'll be along for the ride. Join me here as I document my adventures and misfortunes in Europe.

Buenas noches,
Teresa





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...